Yulee, FL – More orthodontic patients are turning to clear aligners to get the smiles of their dreams. Invisalign is the most popularly used aligner brand, but what exactly is Invisalign, and is Invisalign Teen the right choice for my teenager?
Invisalign treatment utilizes a series of clear plastic aligners, each perfectly calibrated to achieve a certain movement of the teeth. If worn as directed, the end result is a beautifully straight smile and a properly functioning bite. The aligners are made of BPA-free plastic and are designed to comfortably fit over the teeth. Because of this, they are removable – perk patients love.
Invisalign aligners are created using cutting-edge technology. An iTero scanner takes scans of your child’s teeth and gum and then uses these scans to create a 3D image of your child’s mouth. From this computerized image, your Onshore orthodontist can plan precise tooth movements for each aligner. You’ll even be able to see an image of what your smile will look like at the end of treatment.
Let’s take a look at both the pros and cons of Invisalign Teen so that you can better determine if the treatment may be one to consider for your child.
- Invisalign aligners are designed with comfort in mind. The aligners are not only customized to your child’s unique smile but are also made of smooth plastic. There are no metal brackets or wires to irritate the inside of your mouth. If you find there is an area on your aligners that causes any discomfort, your orthodontist can buff out the offending area.
- Invisalign aligners are made of clear plastic, rendering them virtually invisible in your mouth. The teen years can be difficult enough without adding a mouth full of metal in. But with Invisalign Teen, your friends won’t even notice you’re in treatment.
- Invisalign Teen aligners are removable. That means there are no food restrictions – you simply remove the aligners before eating and drinking anything other than plain water, so you can enjoy all of your favorite foods even while in orthodontic treatment. And caring for your smile is a cinch. Remove the aligners and you can brush and floss as you always have, without having to worry about getting in and around brackets and wires.
- Invisalign Teen means shorter orthodontic visits. Because there are no brackets to look at and wires to adjust, you can be in and out of your orthodontist’s office in no time. Visits will happen every six to eight weeks over the course of your treatment.
- Invisalign aligners allow you to live your life, without letting orthodontic treatment get in the way. Play your favorite sport or instrument, smile big, and live your life!
- Invisalign Teen treatment requires a high degree of patient compliance. The aligners are removable, which patients love, but this can also be a drawback as it can be easy to find excuses to remove your aligners. In order to get your desired results, you must follow all care and wear instructions as provided by your orthodontist. This means wearing the aligners 22 hours a day, every day. Luckily, Invisalign Teen comes with compliance
- Invisalign Teen aligners must be worn in the order directed by your orthodontist. At the start of your treatment, you’ll be provided your aligners sets for the length of your treatment. You may be tempted to switch to the next set early or to just jump forward some in order to speed your treatment along. This can cause damage to your smile. Each aligner set is perfectly calibrated to achieve a certain tooth movement, and they are designed in specific order to ensure a healthy, stable smile once treatment is completed.
- Aligners can get lost. Because you will have to take them out when eating and drinking, brushing, and flossing, it can be easy to misplace them. Always place them in a carrier when they aren’t in your mouth, rather than placing them in a napkin or something similar.
- Invisalign patients may require the use of attachments and rubber bands. These provide the force necessary to achieve certain tooth movements but can make the treatment more conspicuous to others.
Invisalign Teen can offer excellent results, and as the treatment becomes more popular, the costs associated with it are much closer to that of traditional braces. Patients who use Invisalign Teen can enjoy the comfortable, removable, and virtually invisible treatment. However, compliance is key to ensuring your teen’s treatment progresses as it should.